Forever is only the beginning


Saturday, January 28, 2012

happy take your roommate on your date day!

One year ago today, Jon and I decided to go to dinner.  I was actually the one to ask him, I told him I wanted to visit Lara when she was working {at the Pizza House}...  I tried to make it seem casual, but secretly just finding ways to spend a little time alone with him {like all the batches of hummus I would make and take over to him as a treat, which I haven't made since we've been married!}.  Well apparently I'd been too casual, because when he met me at my apartment that Friday night I was shocked and horrified to discover that he had invited his roommate Brad to come with us...  Lara ended up not working and heard the bomb drop from the other room.  

Needless to say I was not a happy camper.  I rejected any of Jon's attempts to make it up to me that night {offering to pay, trying to open my door for me, trying to sit next to me, texting me later that night and the next day}.  After walking in the door that night Lara peeked around the corner and shyly asked - "How did it go...".  
Oh, how the fury raged! 
I ranted about how Jon led me on letting me believe he was interested in me, 
about how clueless he was, 
how he ruined my beautiful plan to get him alone {because he always wanted to hang out with me AND LARA!}  How could he do this?!
Just how?!
I swore I would never speak to him again!

Well, it turns out he really was that clueless.  My sweet Jon, without the slightest bit of game... He was concerned about his roommate spending a Friday night alone {with his law books}.  He had no clue my intent was to be alone with him over a greasy slice of pizza, staring deep into each other eyes...  until he met me at my apartment and took note of the carefully put together outfit, my hair done, make-up done, and a sparkle in my eye.  But it was too late, the words, "Do you care if Brad comes?" had already escaped his lips and a flash of anger replaced the sparkle in my eyes {but only for a moment}.  

We went to dinner, the three of us, and it was kind of awkward.  I tried to hide my sinking disappointment, Jon carried on as if it was totally normal, ignoring the elephant sitting in the room {or right next to him}.  And Brad was just Brad - funny and slightly awkward.  

I think my promise to never speak to him again lasted maybe 24 hours...  I called him the next day to come over and talk about the pizza "date".  I got him to admit he liked he {and had since the moment he met me}!  He apologized about Brad, and we agreed to spend more time together. We saw each other everyday after that.
And now we get to spend everyday together for the rest of forever...

Happy one year of "dating" to the boy I love the most.












3 comments:

  1. Whew - that date was almost the beginning of the end. I'm glad it worked out ;) Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha ha. I remember this day SO WELL and I remember getting the phone call and texts to follow. Oh, Jon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice story, nice ending (well, not an ending per se but a beginning)

    ReplyDelete