Forever is only the beginning


Monday, January 2, 2012

Have you ever wondered?

Have you ever wondered what to do with all that left over cilantro??


Every time I buy a batch of cilantro I end up throwing away more than half of it because the recipe only calls for a 1/4 or 1/2 cup, and I feel bad because the rest of the bunch sits in the fridge until its brown and slimy.... BUT NOT ANY MORE!


Today I bought one bunch for some salsa I was making, and last second as I was tempted to just through the rest out {so I didn't have to wait for it to go bad} an idea popped into my head - Cilantro Pesto!?!  Could there be such a thing?  I googled it, and YES, there is!!!


So tonight for dinner we are having pasta with Cilantro pesto and a sprinkle of lime juice, along with a spinach salad.


Cilantro Pesto (adapted from Allrecipes.com)


1 bunch of cilantro- stems and all (i just used whatever i had left from making my salsa)
4-5 garlic cloves (i used 5, but next time will probably only use 4)
1 Tbs White wine vinegar ( I didn't have white wine vinegar so i just used plain whit vinegar)
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese 
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper 
1/2 cup walnuts or Pecans (I didn't have either so I used raw almonds and only about 1/3 cup)
Salt to taste
1/2 cup olive oil (give or take a little depending on the consistency you want)


Blend everything but the olive oil in a food processor or blender.  Once in ground almost to a paste add the olive oil and blend again.


And VOILA-  You have a fresh tasting cilantro pesto!


Use on pasta, spread on a turkey sandwich or add to a grilled cheese; the possibilities are endless.  


Hope you all enjoy this as much as we will!



1 comment: