Forever is only the beginning


Monday, January 2, 2012

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.... And A Happy New Year!


This was our first Christmas together ever!  And this year we were lucky enough to have ten days in Traverse City.   It was a wonderful break; filled will all the Christmasy things that that make this holiday so wonderful.  It was fun to be able to share some of my childhood traditions with the person I love the most.  We had lots of fun talking about and making plans for our own future Christmas traditions.  Since our break was pack full with fun {and relaxing} things I’ll just give a run down that highlights our favorite things.

~Talking to Sister Lara Jane on Christmas day.  Thank you technology!  Skyping with Lara who is currently living in Bordeaux, France was a total success!!  Thankfully she is happy, healthy, and learning lots.  We couldn’t have asked for a better Christmas gift than to see her sweet face.  {It was also a nice treat to see some of the Fowler Clan too!!}

~Jon participated in the annual Christmas Cocktail preparations.  Since my dad was a child he has had this fruit cocktail made with grapefruit, oranges, and maraschino cherries… it doesn’t sound like much, but after it sets over night a little bit of magic does the rest!  Jon made a comment about adding more to the cocktail- but he was quickly shot down. Sorry babe, the cocktail stays just the way it is.  It is the only thing that has remained the same through every Christmas season. 

~Christmas Day we watched It’s a Wonderful Life.  Jon watches it every year, and it had been YEARS since I’d seen it.  There may have been a little tear from the both of us at the end…  I’m really grateful for all the wonderful souls that have touched my life.

~Our niece Gabby was baptized on New Years Eve. I was lucky enough to be able to give the talk about baptism.  It was really fun to be apart of her special day.   It was a spiritual moment to see Seth baptize his first daughter because he was the one to baptize me - fun to see the circles of life take place.   

~Lot’s of reading, AND not text books {well Jon studied a little}. I finished a few books and started reading the twilight saga again…  I loved Breaking Dawn pt 1…  so I thought I would refresh my memory for when the last movie comes out!

~Friday was date day for Jon and I.  We started the morning out having breakfast with my best friend and her husband.  That evening we went to my favorite restaurant in all the land- Trattoria Stella.  I love everything about it; the romantic ambiance with its brick walls, candle light at each table, the original art work strewn through out, and of course the extensive menu {that changes weekly} with products from local farms, and meats raised locally too!  I have yet to be disappointed with a meal there.  The building is also very historic to Traverse City; it used to be the old state hospital building, now being renovated into various shops, art galleries, restaurants, bakeries, and apartments.  

~New Year’s was spent at my brother’s house and it was a pretty typical Ellsworth scene.  There was lots of wonderful food and dessert, of course plenty of eating {until you can’t breathe}, a few games, family stories {and all the laughter that goes along with the stories}, and a few handful of children running around {plus a couple puppies}.  2011 was pretty fabulous- we’re not sure what could top it, but we are so very excited for what 2012 will bring our happy little marriage.

Now we are back in Lansing and getting things ready for the new year and new semester of school.  It was a perfect Christmas holiday thanks to all the loved ones we spent it with.  School starts next Monday for Jon so he will be spending the week soaking up his last little bit of freedom.  We’re making our list of 2012 goals hoping that there will be some way to make this year better than the last…

A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all our friends and family!  


Our first christmas tree

Playin in the snow!

He's so handsome 

Sisters 
Christmas presents to Seth's three girls

I want one too!!
Merry Christmas!
I love my Christmas PJ's 
"Uncle Jonny..." she just couldn't get enough of him.
Date night

I love him!

Gabby's Baptism

Happy New Year's!!
Making gingerbread houses with the kids 





Some of us had a little too much fun...
He was back for round two.




1 comment:

  1. I love the recap and especially all the great Ellsworth photos. It's been ages since we've seen Seth & Chelsea and their girls, so it's a treat to see some of these pictures. Glad you and Jon had a wonderful Christmas!

    (PS - Hey Jon, we always make a small bowl of in-law cocktail for me & it's delicious. No grapefruit and lots of fresh pineapple. 15 years later and it's almost as much a tradition as the classic version. Good luck!)

    ReplyDelete