Forever is only the beginning


Thursday, January 12, 2012

Newest obsession- Crock pot beans

Surprise surprise another food obsession!  


I have been trying to come up with meals that are easy to prepare in larger portions so I can send Jon to school with the leftovers each day.  This way I'm not preparing individual portion meals- spending all my time in the kitchen {which is pretty much what I was doing all last semester}. 


Sunday we tried out black beans- hands down the best black beans I've ever had!  It totally reminded me of being in Costa Rica.  They don't use canned beans there, I don't think you can even buy them in most of the grocery stores.   So saturday night I soaked my beans over night, sunday threw them in the crock pot on low with enough water to cover plus an inch or two, with half of a diced onion, some salt, a few dashes of cumin, 5 minced garlic cloves and a minced jalapeño {no seeds, although next time I might add a few or use 2 jalapeños to get more of a kick} .  After about 6 hours I added a hand full of cilantro and some more salt, cooked for another 2 hours or so. 
Perfecto!  We had it with brown rice, guacamole and some slices of tomato.  
And then Jon had it monday and tuesday for dinner! 


Today we tried out Garbanzo beans!!  Last night I soaked my beans, and this morning before work {at 5 am} I tossed them in the crock pot with enough water to cover plus and inch or so, a little olive oil, a few dashes of salt, the other half of that onion from sunday, 3 cloves of garlic minced {I chopped the onion and garlic the night before and just had them in the fridge}, and a few dashes of Garam Masala. I got home from work at 3:30 and boy did the house smell amazing!!  


I actually couldn't wait for Jon to get home from school before I dug in...  I had to make sure they tasted okay!


On my top ten for sure! Chana Masala, a garbanzo bean dish, is one of my favorite entrées from a local Indian restaurant... but this may have just one up-ed Sindu's. 


These will go great will a little quinoa.




No pictures of the black beans, but we are having the missionaries over for dinner on sunday so maybe then...
  

2 comments:

  1. I think you should open your own restaurant or bakery or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed by your cooking, Ash! And you make it sound so easy and delicious that I'm tempted to try it (but only if "try it" can be interpreted as "ask Noel to make it")

    ReplyDelete