Forever is only the beginning


Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Oh, Canada!


Finally!  After packing everything we own from our first little apartment we moved to our newer and slightly upgraded apartment (both apartments happened to be on the third floor, so in the span of two days I walked at least 5 miles up and down those stairs).  Thank you to our friends Justin and Jordan for all your help in moving boxes and unpacking!  After moving everything into the new place I did as much unpacking I could possibly do in one day, and then I had to begin packing for our excursion to Canada.  By about 11:30pm on Wednesday night we had just about everything packed. And at 7 am on Thursday we were off! 

Phew, I’m so glad that part of the trip is over…  It was a little stressful and emotional for all parties involved (mostly me though).  It was sort of sad to leave our first place together…  I felt like it was marking the end of a chapter in our life and beginning a new.  I know this new chapter will be so wonderful, but I’m always a little saddened by change in the beginning. 

After our 10 hours in the car, we finally made it to our little bungalow just outside of Ottawa in the darling little town of Orleans.  Jon and I were both practically leaping at the chance to get unpacked and to bed as soon as we got here- we were both needing to catch up from sleep from the last month of craziness.

It seemed like the craziness didn’t end there though… Friday morning we were up early and off to get a few things before Jon started his orientation that night.  We found a place to use the internet, ran to the grocery store, ran to the mall, the bank and then went to Ottawa to walk around a bit before orientation.  While Jon was in orientation I sat in a park and read. It was lovely.

Saturday was another early day- we figured out how to use the public transit that Jon will take every day to and from Ottawa.  Ridding the bus is always an interesting experience, but it’s a really good way to get a feel for what it’s like to actually in an area.  While Jon was in orientation I walked around an area called the Byward Market- one of the most popular areas in DT Ottawa.  It is filled with all sorts of vendors and little shops as well as TONS of restaurants.  We could eat at two a day for the rest of our trip and still not get them all!  During Jon’s lunch break we walked down to the Rideau Canal and ate the lunch I packed.  The second half of the day I walked around a little bit more before finding a park near campus to sit in and read.  It was a gorgeous afternoon- and I’ve got an awesome farmers tan to prove it!

Sunday was another PERFECT DAY!  Again, we woke up early, this time I went to church and Jon headed back into Ottawa for another day of orientation.  He was done at about 3 so by that time I met him DT and we drove to Dow’s Lake (still down town area, just a 10 minute drive from school).  This is where majority of Tulip Festival is.  Unfortunately because the weather had been unseasonably warm for Ottawa most of the tulips had already turned, but it was still a gorgeous day and a beautiful park.  There were tons of families out and about on the lawn enjoying the sun.  Jon and I sat under a tree and enjoyed the homemade sushi from the lady we are renting the condo.  We also took a stroll down Preston Street which is also known as Little Italy.  That was one of Jon’s favorite places in NYC, so it will be fun to go back and enjoy some the eats here with him!  And after our stroll we admired the firework show over the lake!  It was actually an impressive show, and I took pictures of it like I’d never seen fireworks before!

Monday was Victoria Day, a national holiday- similar to our Memorial day.  So pretty much all the malls and government stuff was closed.  Monday was also Jon’s last day or orientation (phew!  I think he’s all oriented now)!  The second half of the day I got to join Jon and his class to do a walking tour of some of the buildings the students will be working in as well as a ride on the double decker tour bus around Ottawa.  The bus gave a basic run through of the museums to see, places to shop, and of course the Parliament buildings....  They are extraordinary buildings I’m excited to do the walking tour inside one of these days.  I was a little wind blown and my scalp a little burnt but the tour was well worth it.  It was also nice to meet some of the people Jon will be working with for the next 6 weeks!

After going non-stop for what seems like the past month (with all the preparation for moving and the trip) I took today off!  Poor Jon was up at 5 am to get DT early to start his work at the Library of Parliament.  I read pretty much all day, made a quick trip to the post office, baked cookies, napped, read some more, cooked dinner- that was timed perfectly for when he got home from his first day.  Today, he was most excited about the fact that he gets his very own office to work in :)  And now here I sit in the coffee shop, rested and ready to go again tomorrow!

Sorry this is the longest post ever and no pictures yet... I will post very soon- I have some great ones of us already!  

Lots of love to our friends and family near and far!




No comments:

Post a Comment