Forever is only the beginning


Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A day (or two) in the life of an explorer!


So apparently the place I’m using the internet for the time being is incredibly slow, PAINFULLY slow!  So the picture updates may just be sporadic while we are still here…. Just know that everything we are seeing and doing is just beautiful! 

It really hasn’t taken long for me to fall in love with Ottawa.  It’s a big city with a small town feel.  We have a fairly easy time making our way around, the city is very clean, and the people are pleasant.  Jon and I are both a little sad that we will be going back to MSU for the remainder of school, when he could have also come here for the next two years for a different dual degree program, the dual JD program.  But it’s not about the location of the school, it’s about what he will be getting out the education… right?

Since my last update I have found a place to do yoga at while we are here- for only $40!  I’m so very excited, I’ve gone to three sessions already, and it’s been wonderful.  Its hot yoga, so its pretty much like doing yoga in a sauna. 

Last Wednesday, I did some exploring by myself; I did a tour of the center block of the Parliament buildings!  The building is just as beautiful on the inside as it is on the outside.  I want to do the tour again, because it’s just that beautiful. I also walked through the Museum of Currency, and several parks in a 2km radius. I was sad Jon wasn't there with me, but I'm weeding through it all so that I can take him back to the highlights of Ottawa!

On Thursday last week Jon and I went to the IMAX theater that is a part of the Museum of Civilization to see a film on Polar Bears and the melting ice cap they call home.  The other woman renting a room in the town house we are at works for the museum and gave us free tickets as well as passes into the museum anytime we want!  After the movie we had a great date night at a little place called the Black Tomato.  We sat on the back patio and enjoyed our delicious meal and made plans for the remainder of our trip. 

Saturday we headed into the city to make our first trip through the museum of Civilization.  We were there from about 10am-5pm!  It was a long day, and by the end I could not possibly absorb any more information!  We walked through the children’s section (so fun! Jon taught me to play chess, and even let me win!), they had an exhibit on God, and world religions, Canadian History, Famous Canadians, and a Mayan exhibit.  It was wonderful!  Then we went back to the Byward Market for a beaver tail- essentially the same delicious goodness as an elephant ear!  We tried the original fried dough with cinnamon and sugar, but they have a nutella one, I’m gonna have to go back and try. 

Sunday we had church, and then had dinner with the woman we are renting from (she is staying with her daughter literally one block away).  She is a very sweet Japanese woman, and an amazing cook!  She made homemade sushi rolls for us (again!) along with rice noodles and some kind of tofu veggie stir-fry (that puts mine to shame)!  She also made a strawberry rhubarb cobbler that reminded me of my grandmas.  We ate till our hearts content because she had enough food to feed 10 people!

Monday I went to the Central Experimental Farm.  It’s literally a farm in the middle of Ottawa.  They harvest a vast array of crops as well take care of a variety of farm animals.  There is also an ornamental garden (which is what I walked through) and an observatory next to the river.  It would be a great place to run.  I ended they day with a session of hot yoga, and Jon and I had pancakes for dinner. 

Now after spending about 2 hours trying to download like 20 pictures I should probably do something productive today! 

Thanks for all your love friends and family near and far!  We love and miss you all dearly.  Happy Tuesday!


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE READING THESE AND SEEING ALL THE PICTURES! THANKS FOR SHARING!!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete