Forever is only the beginning


Friday, September 16, 2011

Saying Good-bye



Sometimes it’s only for a few hours, a few days, or just a week.  Other times it’s for months, seasons, and even years.  Sometimes it is permanent and means we are letting go.  We may choose to say goodbye or not ever get the chance.  A goodbye can represent a loss, but always the opportunity for a hello or new beginning. 

This morning I said goodbye to my best friend and little sister as she left to serve a full time mission for our church.  She will be a representative of the Lord for the next 18 months in France and Switzerland.  I truly admire her bravery of leaving comfortable, routine, and home to dedicate every fiber of her being to serving others and the Lord.  Her example is truly inspirational to me.  I did have the experience of watching all five of my brothers serve missions, somehow having my little sister go seems different.  Maybe it’s because I’m older, and as I’ve gotten older life seems to be speeding by?  Or maybe it is just that my relationship with my little sis is so much different than with my brothers? 

All of my most precious childhood memories are with her.  Every trial, struggle, accomplishment, and victory we stood by each others’ side.  Never judging, mostly supportive, and always loving.  And now into adulthood we have continued to build our friendship into what I would consider a quintessential illustration of family bonds. 

Over the last year I even had the opportunity to have Lara as my roommate.  Our home was filled with peace, lots of laughter, always good conversation, and delicious food.  While living with Lara we both prepared for some our most important life tasks- she watched and encourage my relationship with Jon while I supported her spiritual growth and decision to serve a mission.  And again, I have found there is nothing like a sister… Now Jon has some pretty big shoes to fill while she’s gone.

Change is the scariest thing, but the next 18 months will bring some of the most exciting changes in both of our lives.   Lara Jane, Jon and I are so proud of you!  We love you so much, and will be saying lots of prayers for you.  Make everyday better than the last.

Au revoir Lara!   

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post about your sis. I am so excited for her. I wish she could blog while she was there so we could all keep up with her! Good thing you have Jon as your best friend, now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Ashlee! Reading your post made me glad again that we're having a girl because I'm so excited for there to be sisters in our family. It's so great to get to see Lara this weekend and to spend just a little more time together before she heads to France. It's awesome that you guys have always had each other, especially lately with these important new phases in your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. really can't believe just yesterday was goodbye. THis will certainly be an interesting experience but I have no doubts that many positives will come from this time in our lives. I love you so much big sister, best friend. I have no doubts that Jon will fill the shoes JUST fine. Love and miss you both. I appreciate your support and excitement for me. Brings me to tears thinking about it! SEE YA LATER - not goodbye ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my family... and this is one of the reasons why!!

    ReplyDelete